Google

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mom update- Out of my mind frustrated

So Mom is doing better. She is peeing on her own for the first time in months. She was moved from the cardiac unit to a step down unit. We had a treatment meeting on Friday and all of her team think that she is ready to move to a sub-acute rehab facility. They were hoping she would be there on Monday. There is actually a rehab facility that specializes in difficult cases and has a bed and has accepted her.

Dad still works full-time so he has Blue Cross Insurance. Unfortunately, Blue Cross will not cover sub-acute rehab. She does have Medicare, but it will take weeks before Medicare will decide if they will cover it since it is her secondary insurance.

So essentially, Mom is ready for rehab finally and her insurance won't pay for it. They will however pay to keep her in the hospital where she is not getting better. Dad was talking about paying out of pocket if it comes to it, but I don't think he would be able to afford more than a few days to a week and she needs much much more.

Dad is staying at the hospital today to see if there is anything else that can be done. For the first time since this whole ordeal started I am really feeling hopeless. I mean, there is no way for us to get her the care she needed, without bankrupting my parents. I honestly don't know what to do now. Sorry this is such a downer update, but I am just at my wits end.

No comments: